Deep fried fun
Well, as usual, I change my blog around..from doing book and movie reviews, to strange news stories, to just a weekly recap..to finally..food and restaurant reviews. So..here is another edition!
Deep fried fun … in a bucket! This week’s food is a trifecta of family meals in a bucket from our sea-faring friends at Fisher Boy, purveyors of fine fish sticks available over the grocery counter, without a prescription.
I’ll begin with the discovery. I was at the grocery store..well, ok, Target..trying to figure out what to buy besides some deodorant, and perhaps a tasty beverage, and as my wife has been working far too many late evenings..sometimes..ah..lets just say I..ahh get a bit lazy and dont want to cook up a nice chicken, cous cous, salad..etc.
So I was pawing through the freezer at the store, in search of a new treat, when lo and behold, I spotted a Happy Meal box off the starboard bough. It was a bright, attractively colored cardboard box, with a handle, that read in brilliant graphics Seafood Fun Bucket. NEATO!!! A bucket ‘o fish!!!
Later...
I opened the box to reveal three plastic bags, each containing portions of pre-fried, frozen nuggets. This was the spicy selection, so the goods were buffalo shrimp, "firecracker fries" and "macho nacho fish sticks." After a few minutes in the broiler, I sampled the suspiciously brightly-hued and tasty-smelling morsels.
The fries were the thin, flavored batter-dipped variety, and upon going cold quite quickly, were limp and chewy. The shrimp was pretty good, but hotter than Dante intended, so I’d use caution when serving them to children. The fish was really weird; the breading appeared normal, but the minced fish filling was the color of nacho cheese. They tasted rather like a Dorito; not bad, but last time I checked, fish outside of Chernobyl Farms aren’t supposed to be that color.
After a bit ‘o research, I found that the other Fun Buckets contain such tantalizing tidbits as "fishin’ rods," "potato blasts" and "mozza sticks." Would I buy this stuff? Short answer: no, but if I had kids, and was trying to fatten them up, probably. I would force them to have a glass of milk and a salad with it, though. I’m chocking them up to harried-family and single-guy food...of which I fall into the former this time.
Check out next week’s blog, when I answer the burning question: What’s up with all the freaky new candy bars?
4 Comments:
For one thing, yey to food! btw you should check out the pic of the pizza i made on flickr. "Fisher Boy" is a hilarious brand name. Did you feel more musculine eating 'macho nachos'? Is that like better than feminine sounding snacks like 'pinko crabcakes'? Chernobyl to that!
Dude eating that stuff is definitely NOT going to help you ride the LS. You're gonna be stopping every 5 miles relieving yourself of the "firecracker fries". Not a good combo when sitting on a bicycle seat.
They should include a bottle of Pepto in that bucket.
Hi Josh,
How are you??
Really well, I hope. :)
...
I like the food-related blogging. Very unique, as far as blogs are concerned; as in, yours is the only food blog I think I've ever seen. :)
As for this fish bucket o' fun: I actually looked at those yesterday while shopping. Thought, Hmm. Bucket of fish...sounds good enough, but something stopped me. Went for the regular fish sticks instead.
Thanks to your blog, now I'm glad I did. :)
And also thanks to your blog: I think I might be having a Hershey bar for breakfast.
...
I've missed you.
And I do hope you and your wife are well.
Hope you have a great week.
Happy Tuesday,
~ Ash
Post a Comment
<< Home