Random Rants...or...where my stress goes

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ashes and Snow..and more



I went to Los Angeles on Thursday morning of last week. My flight was actually at 5:30am and went to Phoenix and then to LA. If you recall, I was stuck in Minneapolis and Las Vegas over the summer and this was kind of a "make-up" ticket.
Anyways..my parents took me to this exhibit in Santa Monica that was FANTASTIC. It is all these I ndian and Asian people in these..zen-like states with animals around them..just goergeous photography and films, peaceful music..absolutely amazing..and no photoshopping or positioning of the animals..etc..I wanted to buy the book, but it was $130, and the dvd was $50. If the exhibit comes to your city..or country..I highly recommend spending the time to see it. The show is incredible.

So I also saw my grandmother for dinner on Thursday evening, and John Corbett walked by as well. Dinner was good..we arte somewhere on Sunset; I had a cholesterol clogging dish, Spaghetti Carbonarra..yum.

Friday I went out for bagels and cream cheese and some danishes (sorry, this is a pet peeve of mine..you dont go out and eat danish..you go eat A danish..) and took them to my other grandma who has lost her brain completely to Alzheimer's. Very sad. She would be better off dead I think. My mom thinks so too. My mom took me out shopping and I got a couple shirts, and then went and met my old boss for lunch. His SUV smelled like tons of weed, and I smoked part of a joint with him. We had some sandwiches and some beers and relaxed. I went out Friday night with my folks to a French restaurant and ate like a champ. I had a big stomach ache later that night though.

Saturday I played golf with my dad in the morning, and actaully did extremely well, considering I had not played in 6 months. I shot 2 over (uh..on a par 3 course..ahem). My cousin came over about 1 and we went to Hurry Curry in Old Town Pasadena for lunch (YUM) and then walked around for a bit. His wife was sick, so when we went home, she was still in her pajamas. I saw his house for the first time, saw their dog, Bubba and saw their pictures from their trip to Germany and Austria. We went to my favorite sushi place in the world for dinner, and then to Volcano Tea in West LA for some milk tea and boba. Mike, my cuz, didnt want to see Capote or Good Night and Good Luck, and we just missed the showing of Match Point. He had "Stor Crazy" on Netflix, which we watched at his place, which wasnt that great..and went to bed about 1am.

Sunday, we had breakfast and then went down to Wheatberry for a coffee and A danish. Read the paper, did the crossword and sudoku..etc. Walked on over to Borders books for a bit and then had a mini lunch at Hana Grill..though I just had salad because I was a little sick and a little full. Back home to change and then off to the Superbowl party (which you know how I feel about). But it was good seeing my family and we all had a good time..though the commercials sucked as bad as the game. Came home..relaxed, read my book and went to bed.

Monday, I was supposed to meet my friend Sandrine, but she was in Paris. Then my buddy Albert bailed on me for lunch. My ex-girlfriend had mentioned meeting for coffee, but she cancelled too. So I went to In-N-Out burger and then shopping, and only found things that were far too pricey, and went to see my grandma again for an hour and a half. I came home, did some packing, some reading, and helped my mom a bit in the kitchen. She made these BBQ brined shrimp, garlic bread, salad and some potato wedge things with some of my uncle's spices on them. My parents like "The Bachelor", so I watched it with them, and then went to bed.

Tuesday I had an English Breakfast Latte with my mom and then to the airport and back to Portland, where my wife picked me up and we came home..and that was my vacation and weekend..etc

7 Comments:

At February 09, 2006 12:17 AM, Blogger Xericx said...

I'll check out that exhibit sometime.

Sounds like a typical LA weekend....just chillin.

Didn't know you liked Hurry Curry....I've only been to the sawtelle.

Should have watched the Lakers lose though!

 
At February 09, 2006 4:53 AM, Blogger A. B. Chairiet said...

Hey Josh,

Sounds like you had a nice trip! Glad you made it home safely.

So strange you mentioned Capote and Good Night and Good Luck...and I may have mentioned it here before...I know I did somewhere: but those are the only two movies from last year that I want to see.

So...useless information, I know. Just a "I would have watched them with you!" moment. ;)

As for the Alzheimers: I'm terribly sorry. And you're right...she'd be better off dead.

My grandma had it, and it was just like a living horror movie to stay with her and take care of her.

Thank God it's over.

On a happier note...

Happy Thursday!
Hope you're well!!

~ Ash

 
At February 09, 2006 8:27 AM, Blogger ab said...

I miss So Cal. I spent a lot of my teenage years in Old Town Pasadena. Good times.

 
At February 09, 2006 7:50 PM, Blogger Lorena said...

well lovely to read. you had a very packed weekend. A danish and the food you described, shrimp, potato wedges sounds delicious!

you have me sold on this exhibit and i'm going to see if they are coming to Chicago, if so I'm there!! amazing photograph you included.

i went to Los Angeles for 1 day (was on a trip to San Diego) i really want to visit LA one day again.

bueno, hope all is well. sorry the not visiting, it's hard staying in touch with all the bloggers!! you lose track. take care :)

 
At February 09, 2006 10:14 PM, Blogger :) said...

Thanks madelyn, I created the artwork and template myself (and it needs some work since it repeats and the actual image can be stretch WAYYYY out wide), with some inspiration and help from a japanese comic book artist.

 
At February 10, 2006 11:46 AM, Blogger natasha said...

Ashes and Snow is such a brilliant exhibit. I'm glad you had the double double.

I should hang out with you more often, maybe John Corbett will walk past again? You'll be my lucky buddha celebrity dude.

 
At February 15, 2006 6:58 PM, Blogger Jonara Blu Maui said...

Those pictures are truly amazing! What an experience to see the exhibit in person!

Thanks for your comments and always stopping by..sorry I have not been blogging so I have not stopped by and responded..I've been stuck getting my tax totals together for both my business and my husbands. I"ve been having fun making jewelry too much this year and didn't keep up on my bookkeeping for either business so I had to do a whole years worth at once. Same thing happened last year and I swore it woudn't happen again :\

You are right about those earrings..orange..or perhaps a bit of peach moonstone would add a little 'pop'..as orange and blues are complimentary/contrasting colors :) These were just meant to be more calm and oceanlike..but I'm sure I will ustilize that 'pop' in another beading experience :)

Hope you are doing well..sounds like you've had some fun lately! Take care!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home