King Kong
Well..I had to see it right? I loved Peter Jackson's direction in LoTR and the effects dazzled me in the previews, not to mention I like Adrien Brody, Jack Black and Naomi Watts. So..I think most of you will be pleased to know that Peter Jackson's re-telling of this classic tale of beauty and the beast is absolutely wonderful, certainly engaging and even poignant. The very best you can say about the film is that it's a thrilling, highly respectful and faithful remake of the original 1933 classic. Ironically, the worst thing you can say about the new Kong... is also that it's a thrilling, highly respectful and faithful remake of the original 1933 classic. Confused? Well, let me explain.
As much as most of us love the original Kong... there's no denying that it was arguably the first blockbuster Hollywood B-movie. As such, as dazzling and evocative as its visual charms were at the time, its story and characters were..lacking.
People often say that it's Kong you most empathize with in the original, and that's certainly not an accident. He's the best-realized character in the film by a wide margin. For his 2005 remake, Peter Jackson and his writing team thankfully devote much more story time to better develop their characters. I've read some reviews that complain that it takes far too long for the characters to arrive on Skull Island (and thus get to the "real" action), but I disagree. It is BECAUSE we spend a little more time getting to know the characters that we then are able to connect with them as well as we do.
The casting and performances are excellent across the board. Jack Black is inspired as manic movie producer Carl Denham, and Adrien Brody is instantly likable as Jack Driscoll; a writer who is Denham's scribe and an unlikely hero who falls for, and ultimately sets out to rescue, Ann (the film's only major narrative change from the original). But it is Naomi Watts who really shines here. Her Ann Darrow is as stunningly beautiful and capable as a romantic heroine as we've seen on film in years. With her soft, golden locks, her innocent face and sparkling eyes... you BELIEVE that Kong could fall in love with her. Not only is she beautifully groomed and photographed, her performance is exceptional. We all know how hard it can be for actors to work with digital effects, and to interact with characters that simply aren't there to act against. In this case, it helps a great deal that actor Andy Serkis actually played Kong on set (as he did with Gollum in LoTR), in addition to providing the digital creature's movements. Watts and Serkis together prove what good performers can do, with an understanding director's guidance, when working in the digital arena.
Once the good ship Venture reaches the island and the action starts, it is absolutely edge-of-your-seat. The visuals are astonishing - WETA Digital's CG realization of Kong is as much a quantum leap over Gollum, as Gollum was over every digital character that preceded him. Kong is as absolutely believable, soulful and emotionally well-rounded a character as you've ever seen in a film... and he never utters a single word. In fact, virtually all of the effects work in this film is stunning. The T-Rex fight sequence alone will leave you gasping in surprise and delight - it's relentlessly clever and well conceived. The attention to detail in this film, literally from start to finish, almost defies belief. Occasionally, the images are SO perfectly composed, even painterly, that you find yourself marvelling at what great CG work it is... which pulls you out of the film briefly. The landscapes are just a little too beautiful... the retro New York City skyline is just a little too gorgeous. And to be fair, there are a few effects shots aren't quite as polished to perfection as the rest. Still, in the same way that the original Kong dazzled audiences with imagery beyond that which anyone had ever seen before, so too does Jackson's Kong represent (in large measure) another landmark achievement in visual effects.
If I had any REAL complaints about Jackson's Kong, the first would be that it could easily be trimmed by 20 minutes. That's not to say that the film isn't good at 3 hours and 7 minutes, but much of the action feels... padded. This feels more like the special extended DVD edition than a theatrical cut. If I'd been the film's editor, I'd have recommended cutting about 7 minutes of set-up, 8-10 minutes of Skull Island and maybe 3 minutes of the film's climax - all of it in little bits and pieces. The only major scene that doesn't really work is a short bit in Central Park between Ann and Kong. It's sweet, and I understand the emotional idea behind it, but it's just a little too "sugary" to be truly poignant. My other criticism of the film, is that the character of Denham is still a little one-dimensional. You never get the sense that he truly realizes and regrets what he's done. Rather, it seems only that he regrets that his greatest chance at fame and fortune has collapsed like all his past efforts. It's a shame, because if we'd felt like the sheer horror and tragedy of the film's climax had managed - even for a moment - to cut through his dreams of avarice enough to leave him haunted by his actions, the film's ending would have been that much more powerful.
That said, as a pure cinematic experience, there is MUCH about Jackson's Kong to love. Is it as good as his Lord of the Rings films? I don't think so - simply because they had much more dense story material to work with. Is it the best film of 2005? Again, I don't think so. But like the original, this Kong is indeed, a great and truly thrilling popcorn film. Pound-for-pound, it's easily the best all-around entertainment value of the year. There's definitely something here for everyone to enjoy, and you might even shed a tear or two before it's all over (although you should be aware that the action is a little too intense for very young tykes - parents are definitely recommended to use their best judgement)..though there was a 4 year old boy in attendance when I saw it.
King Kong is a dazzling, passionate and evocative thrill ride that's well worth taking. Just go easy on the Dr. Pepper. 187 minutes is a DAMN LONG time to sit with a full bladder.
4 Comments:
Oh Good..I'm glad to hear they did a good job with this..I've been wanting to see it..I didn't realize it was so long though! I KNOW I won't make it with out a pee-break! I guess I'll look for the dumb scene at the park as my chance to take care of things ;-)
Thanks for your comment..I have not been blogging for a while...no time lately. You sure did some of your christmas shopping early..you bought those two pieces of jewelry quite a while ago! Take care! good to hear from you. And I'll have to remember your blog is the place to go when I'm wanting to know about a movie. You write great reviews!
Oh yeah..forgot to say that I love your new blog design!
I've been thinking about seeing it, I think you just made up my mind for me. Thanks!
What a wonderful review Josh!
I knew you were a good writer and clever and all that, but wow. Really well done!
And I personally think Peter Jackson and WETA and Andy Serkis are all extremely talented geniuses. Sounds a bit much, but you understand. They just really did so much with LOTR, that I have no choice but to see this film!
And you know what it reminds me of?
Remember in "The Fellowship of the Ring" when they were in Moria (I sound like such a geek!), and they were fighting the...um...Balrog? I think. The giant thing that would have killed Frodo if not for the mithreal. Anyways, if you watched the director's commentary, Peter Jackson loved that scene and that creature; that he said he couldn’t help but feel sorry for this giant monster. That if he died, did he have a mother that would be waiting for him, or even a place to go home to?
It was really sad to think about, so I'm guessing this sort of comes into play with King Kong. A giant beast who really isn't a monster at all. I'm sure Jackson handles it all beautifully.
As did you with this review. :)
Thanks again, and sorry I got so geeky,
~ Ash
Post a Comment
<< Home