Random Rants...or...where my stress goes

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

With the 10th pick in the 2005 NBA Draft...

The Los Angeles Lakers select...Andrew Bynum from St. Joseph High School.

Well..I still cannot decide if I am happy, or sad. You see, I was at the Portland Trail Blazer official NBA Draft party with some of my friends from another basketball forum I go to, and when no one picked Gerald Green (an extremely attractive prospect for many teams), who I thought I wanted, who Portland thought they wanted..I was stunned. Taking Bynum..was a surprise in some sense..everyone assumed the Lakers wanted Green, and when he fell into their lap by no one picking him..it was a shock to not hear his name called. But it was all a smokescreen apparently. The Lakers wanted Bynum all along, if they couldn get Deron Williams, Raymond Felton or Chris Paul.

Bynum is a 17 year old behemoth..7 feet tall, about 285 pound, 33 inch vertical...a total man-child. He also had a 3.6 gpa in HS and his favorite subject is physics. A refreshing bit of information there..instead of the thug with the 2.2 gpa, whose favorite subject is "Jay-Z".

Well, since the rest of you are completely bored..if you are interested, check out his myspace website..pretty funny guy..nice photo section.

5 Comments:

At June 29, 2005 4:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you know, i'm not so sure that phil jackson can develop a rookie. he's a great coach for veterans like larry brown, but i don't know if jackson has what it takes to turn this man-child into a full fledged man. i read phil jackson's remarks about how he believed in a lot of hand holding and limited playing time for rookies. granted, this kid is no lebron james, so a little hand holding is definitely in order.

i had a problem with larry brown's approach in the olympics. he benched his best players--lebron, amare, and wade just because these kids were nba freshmen and sophmores. sure marbury and marion logged more time in the nba to qualify as veterans, but they were green in the ways of international basketball as well. and besides, lebron, wade, and amare have higher learning curves than the relative fossils i just named.

i do hope this pick turns out for the best. i realize size is necessary, but i beleieve in a meriticracy too--you should draft talent over size if forced to choose between one over the other. the "picking size" mentality is how san fernando valley's gil arenas fell into the 2nd round in the first place--he was deemed a tweener, so he got passed up for less talented but larger players. so far, he is the 1st in his draft class to achieve all star status.

will this kid become the l.a. version of hakeem olajouan? well, obviously we don;t need another guard (ok, a new point guard would be nice, i'm not that crazy about caron butler) but a very athletic power forward with stciky fingers for rebounds sure would be nice.

 
At June 29, 2005 8:17 PM, Blogger :) said...

butler isnt a pg, never will be a pg. hes a sf, same as odom. hence, butler will be traded this summer. you really ought to go to lakersground.net or hoopsworld.com so you can get the inside scoop from insiders within the media and the lakers organization :) im sure youd love it :)

 
At June 30, 2005 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just stopping in on my weekly blog spots ;) and i have no idea where to post this - nothing to do with the lakers - lol! BUT, nice new design on your blog :)

 
At June 30, 2005 10:12 AM, Blogger ab said...

I'm liking the new design too. And not surprising that the Blazers made a stupid move with player choice, they always make stupid decisions. If one of the players looks at somebody wrong they ship him off to another team. The Blazers organization is far too concerned with their squeaky clean image. But, what do I know, I've been a Lakers fan for 20 years.

 
At June 30, 2005 12:43 PM, Blogger natasha said...

I don't really know anything about NBA draft. I haven't watched basketball games on TV in ages. Tall people. ha!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home