Random Rants...or...where my stress goes

Friday, June 03, 2005

Driving cheap to Seattle

So, today's mini rant stems from my work..and Enterprise Rent-A-Piece of Shit. I occasionally have to drive to Seattle from Portland, OR for my work. Not a big deal, its 175 miles one way, 95% highway..and I get to relax and listen to my mp3s..plus at .405 cents a mile, I can actually make some decent cash for going.

Well, I was all set to go Wednesday evening when my work told me on Tuesday afternoon that I would not be allowed to drive this time. "Maybe they are flying me up there?!" I thought..my wife's work flew her up there for a quick meeting...it could happen.
"Would you mind renting a car?" said Beth, our front desk assistant.
"Umm..errr..o-k..why?
"Because of the cost of the mileage, and the IRS..blah blah blah"..I tuned out.
My company is cutting costs as usual, where they can. I thought..ok, I just have to pack up some cds, instead of listening to mp3s..not a big deal. I am sure I'd enjoy driving my Alero...or Stratus..or Lancer, if I am lucky.
"Ok..no problem."
"Thanks, Josh".

So Derrick from Enterprise picks me up at work at 2:15pm on Wednesday, and drives me to their spiffy shop (a converted bank I notice as we drive through the outside teller and pneumatic tube area)...and tells me I've got a spectacular Neon.
I tell him I am trying to get up to Seattle to try to make the Seattle Mariner's baseball game if I can, so hopefully it has a full tank of gas, goes past 80 mph and "as long as it has a cd player, I am alright".
"Well..you got 1 out of 2..it has a full tank of gas..but if that wasnt the case, right next door to us is Shell!"
I point to the other Neon sitting there. "Does that one have a cd player?".
No such luck. All 2004 Neons have no cd players. Only cassette. Are you f-ing kidding me? Who still plays cassettes?
Well, it turns out they dont have cruise control either. Or power windows, doors..and the AC was busted. And the power steering was..sketchy.
Needless to say, the drive really sucked..both to and from. Luckily, I found a radio station in the Seattle area that plays the music I normally listen to...so that cut out about 70 miles of dead air...and I called a bunch of family and friends on the way up and back (and didnt reach a single one!) to try to pass the time.

I made the game. Safeco field is pretty cool. Some nice guy bought me 2 beers (funny story, I ended up buying a scalped ticket..that he sold to the scalpers!). Upon telling my friend Jason about the beers, he said that the generous man was probably anxious to get me drunk and into my pants..(I did look decent that day after a nice haircut) but..alas, I slept alone.

Oh well..I am sure I'll get some action from my wife tonight :)

3 Comments:

At June 03, 2005 2:51 PM, Blogger ab said...

Your company truly went ghetto on you. That sucks. They should sign up with a company like Hert for a corporate account. It doesn't cost anything & you get free upgrades. Maybe suggest it & you'll look like a hero.

 
At June 04, 2005 2:15 PM, Blogger natasha said...

You know, in Russia, you would probably not have a car to rent, you would be riding at the back of a fruit track with the entertainment be truck driver singing along to the popular 40s WWII tunes.
All your petty complaints prove that you are just a fat capitalist pig.

Odin, dva, tree, chetireh, piat'.

 
At June 13, 2005 4:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

cool! ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home