Dead Like Me is unfortunately, dead
A truly wonderful show, cancelled.
This follows a long line of shows that my wife and I seem to enjoy that get cancelled a bit too early. "Party of Five", "Boomtown", "Push, Nevada"..all canned. I heard rumblings that "The Contender" (a decent reality tv show) might get pulled. We watched a lame reality program once, "The Family", that was yanked about 5 episodes in. I am now afraid to start new shows, because after I get sucked in, they are going to get cancelled prematruely. My wife and I started watching "Grey's Anatomy" a couple weeks ago. It has a good cast and shows a lot of promise. It is also on Sunday nights at 10pm. Lookout!
"Dead Like Me" was different than most shows. A truly unique concept for starters..not just another medical drama or cop show, it was about an 18 year old girl, whow as hit by a toilet seat falling from the sky (off of a space station) that killed her. However, instead of going to the afterlife, she became a grim reaper...she would pop someones soul out of their skin just before the moment of death, so the soul could move on to the afterlife without pain. It had wonderful acting..and did not really include any marquee names. Sure, you might recognize Jasmine Guy or Mandy Patinkin, but other than the occasional guest star, there wasnt any "A" listers. But the acting was top notch, particularly Callum Blue, Mandy Patinkin and Ellen Muth. Even the side characters, such as "Kiffany" and "Dolores Herbig", were terrific and their performances periodically eclipsed those of the stars'.
The writing was top-shelf stuff. The poignant moments and especially the biting sarcasm and humor were terrific. It is definitely what drew my wife and I to the show and kept us seated in front of the tv those nights. Sure, there were some slower episodes..but the writers gave each character solid development..and had most, if not all, run the gamut of emotions in a variety of scenarios..
There is even a petition online to get the show to be picked up by HBO, The WB..someone..anyone. Of course I signed it. My wife did as well. There was one for Boomtown too. All it seemed to do for Boomtown was ensure a DVD was released of the 1st season.
I admittedly do not watch a lot of shows that are considered "good" or are in the upper echelons of the Nielsen ratings. I never got into any of the 12 incarnations of "CSI" or "Law & Order". I do not watch "The West Wing". I do not like the over-acting of "Desperate Housewives" (nor do I appreciate the vindictiveness and portrayal of all men as bumbling idiots..ie Maxim magazine readers). And there are shows I just never watched that plenty of people consider as worthwhile, such as "Frasier", "Chicago Hope", "Everybody Loves Raymond"..etc
Am I doomed to watch Seinfeld re-runs? Am I the Angel of Death for new shows? Am I stuck with Netflix forever?
Please HBO..you are the only good network left. Please pick up the contracts of the actors and writers, take Showtime's dregs and produce this wonderful show.
9 Comments:
I'm glad you share a passion for great shows that are taken too soon. Remember "My So Called Life", "House of Buggin'" and "Profit"? Didn't think so.
So your picture is adorable; is that really the younger version of you? Thanks for visiting my blog; I'll be hanging out around yours now.
I have to admit I haven't watched any of the shows you mentioned, I try not to get involved in any new ones because of lack of time. Like Wednesday night owns me now..I just have too many shows to watch on that night. And if it's one of my favs..then even running it for 8 or 9 years is not enough. I'm still mourning the X-files :(
Thanks for visiting my blog...and I'm glad you like my jewelry :) If had my wedding to do over again, Maui would be the place. I've witnessed many weddings on the beaches here..definitely a breath-taking and a memorable experience to tie the knot at :)
Thanks for vising my blog! How funny you called it a "wife beater!!!" Ha!
I've never even heard of this show. Shows how much I watch tv.
I really liked Wonderfalls, but alas it got yanked. They BETTER NOT yank the Contender--I am really into it!! By far the best show is "Lost"--you should check into it! Oh, and thanks for stopping by. If you don't mind, I'll add you to my blog roll!
I loved Party of Five. I have never watched this show though. Seinfeld re-runs are about as good as it gets!
Maybe you should try reading instead of watching the seemingly disappointing stupid box. Literature will never be "cancelled".
TV is a passionate mistress...I will go through years where I barely find anything "watchable" and then I'll have 10 shows I'm following.
I share your pain over the cancelled good shows. I also like shows with witty writing and great acting that don't last very long...and if I do like it and it lasts, it eventually gets a "makeover" that makes me lose interest completely (i.e. Alias).
Gotta agree about Lost - best mainstream show in ages.
Sad....very very sad...one of the only shows my guy and I ever watched. We were ADDICTED to this fast-car show called Fastlane...it was produced by the music video director McG....cancelled....We loved watching Herman's Head....cancelled....We too consider ourselves doomed with that kind of thing. Every time we get 'into something' it is cancelled. Crappy networks.
Have started watching Arrested Development...that's some pretty funny shit!
Post a Comment
<< Home