Random Rants...or...where my stress goes

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

Hip-hop Hebrew

you have all seen that one email that shows how movie titles are translated into Japanese and a movie like Braveheart might beomce something like "Ninja Sushi Deluxe 64"...and if ya havent..oh well..but check out Engrish!

Anyways, along the same lines, I found a random link which took me to another random link which gave me some definitions of random new Hebrew expressions..some of which come out to be quite humorous in English..so for you wanna-be hip Jews..enjoy:

Al ha panim - "On the face" - really bad:
“How was my presentation? On the face.”

Lishbor sheen-eye-im- "To break one’s teeth" –To work really hard at something:
“I broke my teeth learning this language only to leave the country and never use it again.”

Lehicaness b’ivri - "To enter my veins" - To get on my nerves, like entering your blood supply (I think. I am not sure)
“That right-wing columnist really gets in my veins.”"

Mah Pitohm? - "What, suddenly?" - WTF? Getouttatown:
“Now you say you don’t like your job? What suddenly?”
Supposedly, parents can admonish their kids for behaving badly (when presumably they had been behaving well before) by saying Mah Pitohm?

Sotziomat! - "Sociopath(?)" – an expression from the army that indicates a selfish person who thinks there is an "I" in "Team".
“Yossi did not once offer to carry the stretcher during training exercises. What a sotziomat!”

Lasim Zayin - "to put penis"- to endeavour, to try hard/be motivated (another army phrase) It also means to do pushups.
“Moishe, your uniform is a disgrace. Hit the floor and put penis."

Manyak – "asshole" - not to be confused with (maniac, from where it probably derives). Usually begins with “Ya”
“You cut me off again, ya’manyak.”

Lezayen – "to penis" –to screw.
No example needed, but why not start using “lenartek” or “to vagina” someone? Maybe women can use that, and men could use lezayen? Hmmmmm.

and a few French funnies..

If someone is attractive, they are a "lapin chaud" (hot rabbit).

If something is easy, you say it is "un petit prout dans eau chaud" (a little fart in hot water).

The equivalent of "snap" or "diss": "dans ton face" (in your face).

1 Comments:

At March 08, 2005 4:32 PM, Blogger natasha said...

I like the word "Engrish". I have no idea where you dig these random bits of information out. More power to you, man. You know, you've commented on my blog I *have* to comment on yours. Who is a whore now? huh, huh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home