Quit your jibba jabba!
This semi-famous quote by Mr. T. is the thesis statement to what I have been feeling about lately. So much of what is going on in “today’s society” is overblown by words and takes too much time. I may not be an important person, but my time is still valuable to me. So while watching The damn Apprentice tonight I thought I'd log on and run through the topic of reality television..a topic that wastes my time and I wish it wouldn’t anymore...but some of it is so damn addictive. I shouldve gone to the gym after dinner..
Reality tv. Settle in for the long haul everyone, cuz I’ve got something to say about this. Television has become mediocre...at best. Long gone are the days of classic television filled with wit, substance and topics that hit home. How I miss Cheers, Seinfeld, Family Ties, The Cosby Show..even CHiPs. Take a show like the “Sex and the City” for instance. What a terrible show that became! But it was still funny, it still had substance and it made you think. Now, there is “Celebrity Fear Factor,” “Celebrity Mole” and, my absolute favorite, “Celebrity Fit Club.
Yes, Celebrity Fit Club.
Let me explain to you the concept behind “Celebrity Fit Club.” How I was hoping it was a typo and was "Celebrity Fight Club"...a bunch of no-name celebrities who eat more in a day than the residents of Chad eat in a year combined have come together to lose weight. So, they all lose weight...then they will be really good people. Oh wait, you mean after you drop 20 pounds you aren’t going to be washed up like a whale off Cape Hatteras? I didn’t know that! Fantastic!..and how about “American Idol?” All the talent this year is astounding. Did you see the hot ass chick with the huge rack who had no talent? How about those triplets that didn’t make it? What about that oh-so-sexy latino guy?! Gosh, that Simon is mean. The cool thing about that series of statements is that I could have copy/pasted it from any article from any other season of this show. Have you not seen it before? Well let me break it down for you:
You suck.
That is the point of this show. Some people really have talent, others are obviously placed there by Fox so the competition isn’t just the same voice in a different body twenty bazillion times, and so we can see the judges laugh at people. The entire point of this show is to crush the dreams of 99,999 Americans and turn one person into a pop icon. If that’s not democracy, I don’t know what is.
4 Comments:
I like the fact that your posts are getting angrier. The mediocre is a high esteem for Celebrity fit club. I personally couldn't force myself watch it. I only recognized two people from the show: the judge and the girl from Living Single, and they lost my respect in 5..4..3..2..
Amazing race is good though!
I'm ganking your photo of Mr. T.
*griN* hope ya don't mind.
Your picture of Mr. T reminded me that I had this. Just had to share.
http://www.ifilm.com/WMPPlaylist.asx?ifilmId=2667017&bandwidth=300
Post a Comment
<< Home