Random Rants...or...where my stress goes

Monday, February 21, 2005

Downfall

Last night I went to the Portland International Film Festival to see a film I had been highly anticipating seeing; "Downfall". An Oscar nominated German movie, "Downfall", was absolutely incredible. At just over 2 and half hours, it had better be.

Bruno Ganz' portrayal of Hitler accomplishes the impossible by giving human life to a curse; his performance is the foundation of telling one the darkest stories without crossing to the sordid. The actor said he wanted the audience to pity Hitler, even just for fleeting moments..and the Jew that I am, you might think it impossible for me to feel any shred of decency, pity, sadness etc for that man. I am not sure I allowed myself to feel that pity, but Ganz takes you inside the madness that was Hitler, and while you laugh at some of Hitler's repeated tirades at his generals, you still feel in some ways..sorry (?) for the man and his minions who would not carry out his plans to win the war and the glory of the Third Reich. I cannot stress it enough..the Ganz's portryal..his acting..was fantastic.

Not only do you get the inside scoop of Hitler's final days and the downfall of the Reich, but the film takes you inside many of his loyal followers as well as the more notorious members of his party; Himmler, Goebbels, Eva Braun, Albert Speer and more. Everyone displayed a top shelf job. Alexandra Maria Lara plays Traudl Junge, Hitler's chosen secretary. The film’s story begins with Hitler choosing Junge from a group of six woman summoned to his headquarters to apply as his personal secretary. Traudl Junge herself is featured in a brief interview at the end of the film. She died in February, 2002, shortly after the publication of her book. In her commentary she repeats the most damning of admissions—few knew the extent of the horrors of the Reich, but most could known if they had only tried.


Eva Braun, Adolf Hitler and Albert Speer

Some people chose to flee the bunker during the final days. Some left on Hitler's "orders. But those that were left in the bunker, most notably Hitler, Eva Braun, Magda and Joseph Goebbels and their children, had no plans for after the fall of National Socialism. They had no plans for a world that they could not command. For them, there was no alternative to victory. As time ran short, they ended their lives. Most of those around them followed suit. Many ending their last hours in heavy drinking and final reminiscing over times victorious. One of Hitler's last comments was that he was glad that he was able to rid Germany of the Jews. That sort of brought me back to my "normal" level of hatred for the man and that regime.

Downfall is a powerful work and it depicts an insiders view of what the man was probably like in his final days. It could be an invaluable lesson for nations and leaders of the present and the future. This could be one of the best war movies ever. I highly recommend this film, especially if you are highly interested in this era as I am. It truly isnt to be missed. Just make sure you eat a solid meal before you go.

2 Comments:

At February 21, 2005 10:32 AM, Blogger natasha said...

I am very glad you took my recommendation and seen the film. It has unlike any other has influenced my view on war. Bruno Ganz is an unbelievable actor. I do hope this film makes it out to the theaters.

 
At March 22, 2005 4:05 PM, Blogger Toad734 said...

Hmm sounds interesting, ill have to drag my girlfriend to that one.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home